Which is The Best Way To Learn How To Upholster?
Great question and both are the right answers. Learning online is a great way to jump-start your hands-on experience.
See the process, see the tools, and learn the lingo all before your hands-on class starts. Why waste half of your first day trying to figure these things out?
Our online classes offer a large library of tutorials so you can:
- Learn upholstery and understand upholstery terms,
- Find out what the best tools are and how to use those tools,
- Learn specific skills,
- Understand the different paddings,
- Learn how to make those oh so scary cuts,
- Download pdfs to help you calculate fabric yardage,
- Learn techniques for fine finishing details
- and a whole lot more.
You want hands-on experience to gain more knowledge, to hone the skills you’ve learned online and to see how the techniques are done in person. Every year we offer workshops around the United States, but our time is limited. This is why in 2022 we have teamed up with a few of our members who are at the point where they can teach you hands-on upholstery.
What qualifies someone to be able to teach?
- Having completed dozens and dozens of upholstered pieces.
- Years of learning and doing upholstery.
- Attention to detail.
- Not taking shortcuts to get a job done.
- Patience, knowledge, and desire to pay it forward.
- And a LOVE for the art of upholstery
Where can you find quality Hands-On Workshops?
- February – Castle Rock CO Tuffets and Footstools taught by The Whimsical Chair
- February – Sarasota FL taught by The Gathering Place (multiple dates)
- Spring of 2022 – One on One or A Small group Nashville TN taught by Cobani Bleu
- March – Sarasota FL taught by The Gathering Place (multiple dates)
- April – Castle Rock CO taught by The Whimsical Chair
- May – Sentinel Butte ND taught by Kim’s Upholstery
- June – Castle Rock CO taught by The Whimsical Chair
- June -Saline MI taught by Kim’s Upholstery – SOLD OUT
- Summer of 2022 – One on One or A Small group Nashville TN taught by Cobani Bleu
- July – Friendsville TN taught by Kim’s Upholstery
- August – Thomasville NC taught by Kim’s Upholstery
- Fall of 2022 – One on One or A Small group Nashville TN taught by Cobani Bleu
- September – Flowery Branch GA Design A Bench Upholstery taught by Kim’s Upholstery
- September – Castle Rock CO All About Leather taught by The Whimsical Chair
- October – Willow Street PA Advanced Upholstery taught by Kim’s Upholstery – SOLD OUT
As you can see from the list above you have many opportunities for hands-on upholstery classes taught by people we have taught and whose skills we trust. When you’ve advanced in your skills as these ladies have, you develop your own techniques and styles. Take a look at some of the work these ladies have done. We encourage you to sign up for our online classes and get a jump start on your hands-on learning experience.
You have created an Amazing community for upholstery education. I’m excited to be a part of this collaboration. For students to have access to all your online classes and then add a hands on workshop, this will elevate the students upholstery skills quickly. I’m so excited to offer this in Colorado for 2022.
Rhonda Shanahan (The Whimsical Chair)
It’s wonderful to be collaborating. I’m excited to meet lots of new students this year.